While arriving to your destination is always fun, getting there is another story. Traveling by airplane is often fun or very comfortable and those airplane seats can do a number on your neck and lower back. As a trusted Gahanna Chiropractor, we’re here today to give you some tips on how to can prevent back pain while flying.
- Be mindful of how tall you are. If you’re a taller person, you should consider booking an aisle seat. If you’re shorter or your feet don’t touch the floor when you’re in a seated position, then you may want to consider bringing a small foot elevation device with you – or using your carry on.
- If you already have a neck or back pain issue, then it’s important that you don’t forget to pack any medication you may need so that you’re prepared ahead of time.
- If possible, put all of your bags in the overhead compartment so that you can leave adequate space for your feet under the seat in front of you.
- Stretch your legs and keep your feet moving often. We also suggest keeping your feet in front of you for the duration of the flight. This is going to help your circulation and reduce fatigue.
- If possible, stand up and move around the airplane every 30 minutes or so. This is another reason why choosing an aisle seat is beneficial.
- When flying, don’t drink coffee, tea, or alcohol. Instead, choose water. Why? Flying dehydrates your body and water will help keep you hydrated and prevent circulatory problems.