Chiropractic treatments treat subluxation: misalignments of the vertebrae which can impinge on nerves that extend from the spinal column to every part of the body. Misalignment of the spinal column can cause pain in legs, shoulders, or severe headaches. It follows that chiropractors find the spine a fascinating mechanism. We thought we’d share some interesting facts about this spine in this week’s blog.
- The brain and the spinal cord make up the central nervous system, while spinal nerves, that extend out of each vertebrae and autonomic system make up the peripheral nervous system.
- There are 33 vertebrae but only 26 bones that make them up since the bottom four bones, the coccyx are fused together.
- Together they have over 100 joints.
- The average spinal cord is between 40 and 50 cm long and 1 to 1.5 cm in diameter.
- The spinal cord is surrounded by the same three protective layers as is the brain. The outer shell of the spine is called the dura.
- The spinal cord is made of approximately 100 billion nerve cells. These cells are called neurons, and they collect and transmit electrochemical signals up the chain of cells to and from the brain.
- The electronic messages are transmitted via electrical charges of sodium and potassium.
- These messages travel at a rate as high as 100-200 meters a second, depending on the type of signal being transmitted.
You can see how the spine and spinal nerves are highly sensitive and complicated. Misalignment of the vertebrae or a slipped disc doesn’t need to impinge on the nerve by very much to cause the
nerve to signal pain. The pain is telling you that something is not right. A qualified chiropractor can realign your spine and help ease the pain. Call today for an appointment.